4 cups vegetable stock or water
1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
1/2 cup uncooked white basmati rice
1 cup yellow onion, 1-inch half moon slices
¾ cup celery, diced
3 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 bay leaf
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained well, or 1 1/2 cups cooked
1 cup carrot, ½ inch thick slices, bias cut
1 cup sweet potato, ½ inch chop
1 cup zucchini, ½ inch chop
1 cup mushrooms, crimini or button, quartered
½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
1 cup kale or other green like spinach or collards
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons lime juice, optional
1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari or soy sauce (optional if using water instead of vegetable stock)
1/4 cup dried coconut, optionally toasted for garnish
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the vegetable stock and coconut milk in a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the rice and stir well.
2. Add the onion, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the beans, carrots, sweet potato, zucchini, mushrooms and corn and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the kale and corn and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
5. Remove the bay leaf and garnish with coconut before serving.